For utilities relying on fossil fuel and nuclear energy, the last few years haven’t exactly been spectacular.
But the election of Donald Trump changed the narrative. And for the struggling nuclear power industry and our Best Dividend Stocks List’s leading diversified utility, it has helped to continue to provide plenty of gains and cash flows.
Operating in one of the most influential areas of the country, our utility pick is already one of the strongest in its sector and has been a perfect example of why you buy a utility stock in the first place. Its recession-proof nature, high operating cash flows and dividend growth have only received a shot in the arm as the Trump administration looks to strengthen rules to help nuclear generation assets perform profitably.
As a result, our Best Dividend Stock utility pick’s best days could still be coming in the quarters ahead. Already our pick has increased its dividend by a whopping 13% since being added to the Best Dividend Stocks List last June. But with more of its nuclear plants having the potential to run efficiently and at higher rates of profitability, those dividend increases should occur more frequently. This only enhances its steady-eddy nature and why it belongs in your portfolio.
To summarize, here are five reasons why you should own this stock:
- Massive moat of generation assets in one of the most influential and reliable parts of the United States.
- Shifting toward a portfolio of low cost and increasingly green sources of energy production, including smart grid, solar and hydroelectric power sources.
- Strong balance sheet with 50.4% as common equity versus 48% regulatory requirements.
- Thirteen years’ worth of consecutive dividend growth.
- Healthy payout ratio of 51% and growing yield of 2.77%.
See our original article on our pick here.