At this point, you can’t escape the trade war news. The skirmish between the U.S. and China has continued to escalate over the last few quarters. With each passing moment, the number of tariffs and fees has grown. And now, it seems that the trade war is starting to affect many firms with regards to their earnings and future guidance. That’s created a lot of volatility and sleepless nights for investors. But not so much for those investors in our Best Dividend Stocks List pick in the consumer products sector.
Our pick has been able to profit handsomely during the trade war.
Check out our original pick here.
That’s because our pick is one of the leading producers of innovative packaging. One of the side effects of the trade wars has been lower commodity prices. As the overall demand for natural gas, oil and lumber have drifted lower, end-users of these natural resources have been able to realize lower costs for their feedstocks. This includes our pick. Profits have risen over the last couple of quarters on the news of lower commodity prices.
But that’s just part one of why our pick is winning.
The firm has been one of the biggest winners from the shift to online shopping, warehousing and e-commerce sales. Protective packaging for shipping to stores and homes may not seem like a booming business, but it’s something all retailers – online, in-store or omnichannel – need in order to survive in the environment. Online shopping has given new life to more than the 120-year-old company and the lower commodity prices have provided it with a bigger boost.
To summarize, here are five reasons why you should own this stock:
- Lower commodity prices have helped boost its operating profit last quarter by over 4%.
- Overall sales grew over 7% last year – clocking in at well over $5 billion.
- Protective products like boxes and internal packaging components accounted for more than half of its sales, making it a prime play on online shopping growth.
- Has paid a dividend for more than 375 consecutive quarters and increased its payout consistently for nearly four decades.
- Healthy payout ratio of 51% and growing yield of 3.02%.
Our Best Dividend Stocks List has 20 of the highest-rated stocks by our proprietary rating system. Go Premium to find out the entire list.