Enron and ExxonMobil (XOM ) are two of the largest energy companies of the last two decades. While Enron folded in the early 2000s, ExxonMobil has gone on to become one of the most prominent firms in the world. Though there is a lot that sets these two companies apart, they also have a lot in common.
The quiz below will test your knowledge of these two companies and whether you can tell the difference between their practices and structure. Simply click on which company you think the question is referring to.
1. Which company is a descendant of Rockefeller's Standard Oil Company, which dissolved in 1911?
2. This company's stock price has an all-time high of $104.76
3. Which company's accounting practices led to the fall of Arthur Andersen?
4. Which company awarded Colin Powell, Nelson Mandela, and Alan Greenspan for Distinguished Public Service?
5. Which company employed units of the Indonesian National Army that were ultimately accused of humans rights violations?
6. Which company was responsible for an oil spill in 1989 that impacted 11,000 sq miles?
7. Which company holds the record for the largest Chapter 11 bankruptcy in history?
8. Which company was named "America's Most Innovative Company" by Fortune magazine for 6 straight years?
9. Which company built its headquarters out of pink marble, earning it the nickname "The Pink Palace"?
10. Lee Raymond was a CEO of which company?
11. Which company was known for its predatory trading practices?
12. Which company was caught for engaging in illegal trading with Sudan?
13. Which company rescinded domestic partner benefits for same-sex couples in 1999, prompting wide outrage from the LGBT community?
14. Which company pumped up its stock to investors while executives were simultaneously selling out?
15. Senator Phil Gramm successfully passed legislation that de-regulated California's energy trading after receiving significant campaign donations from which company?
16. Which company was known for drilling in areas leased by dictatorships around the world?
17. Which company had an oil spill in 1978 that was three times larger than the Exxon Valdez spill?
18. Which company backed an Indian company named Dabhol that was accused of allowing police brutality in the local region to get a project built?
19. Which company was caught for setting up numerous limited liability special purpose vehicles for hiding major liabilities?
20. In which company did Warren Buffett invest?
Your Score: / 20
A Dark Past
Obviously, we focused mainly on the mishaps and negative events and practices of each company, but that did not make this quiz any easier. Both companies have pasts that are less than rosy, especially when it comes to environmental issues. If nothing else, this quiz likely illustrated that there was a fair amount about both companies that you did not previously know and that they are harder to tell apart than one might think.
Be sure to follow us on Twitter @Dividenddotcom