International Paper Company Posts Higher Earnings; Misses Analysts’ Q4 Estimates (IP)
International Paper (IP) announced its fourth quarter and full year earnings before the opening bell on Tuesday, posting an increase in earnings for both periods, but missing analysts’ Q4 expectations.
IP’s Earnings in Brief
- International Paper reported fourth quarter revenues of $7.25 billion, up slightly from last year’s Q4 revenues of $7.1 billion, but below the analyst revenue estimate of $7.38 billion.
- The company’s operating earnings (excluding special items and non-operating pension expense) came in at $367 million, or 83 cents per share, which was up from last year’s Q4 figure of $305 million, or 69 cents per share.
- IP missed analysts’ EPS estimates of 88 cents by 5 cents.
- For the full year, International Paper reported revenues of $29.1 billion and operating earnings of $1.4 billion, or $3.16 per share.
John Faraci, IP’s chairman and CEO, had the following to say about the company’s earnings: ”International Paper delivered record operating earnings and cash from operations in 2013, largely driven by margin expansion across key businesses. In 2014, our businesses are well positioned to achieve another meaningful increase in EBITDA and Free Cash Flow.”
International Paper did not announce any changes to its dividend in its earnings report. The company most recently announced a raise to its dividend in September for its December payout; the company raised its quarterly dividend from 30 cents to 35 cents. The company’s next dividend is payable on March 17, and the stock goes ex-dividend on February 12.
IP stock was down 11 cents, or 0.24%, in pre-market trading this morning. YTD, the company’s stock is down 5.61%.
The Bottom Line
Shares of International Paper (IP) have a yield of 3.04% based on Monday’s closing price of $46.06 and the company’s annualized payout of $1.40.
International Paper (IP) is not recommended at this time, holding a Dividend.com DARS™ Rating of 3.3 out of 5 stars.
Get FREE Dividend Tips, Updates & MoreWe respect your privacy
- Powerful dividend insights sent every weekday morning
- Gain instant access to actionable investing tips
- Strategically grow your portfolio’s profitability