NPD: Microsoft's Windows Sales Slumping (MSFT)

NPD: Microsoft’s Windows Sales Slumping (MSFT)

RSS

Market researcher the NPD Group reported disappointing Windows 8 sales for software juggernaut Microsoft Corporation (MSFT) on Thursday.

Data from the NPD Group showed that total Windows 8 revenue is down significantly compared with Windows 7 sales in 2011. NPD reported that Windows unit sales declined 21% from last year, accounting for the 9% decrease in notebook sales, and the 24% decline in PC sales.

MSFT reported that approximately 40 million licences of Windows 8 were sold since it was released in October. 58% of these licenses were already preloaded in computers sold, while the remaining 42% were purchased by users upgrading from a previous version of windows.

It’s also possible the company may reduce the number of Surface RT tablets it plans on ordering to 2 million, half of what was originally expected. The new Surface Pro product is expected to be released in January, with the starting price of $899. Current models are on sale for $499.

NPD vice president Stephen Baker noted that Windows 8 doesn’t appear to be “the impetus for a sales turnaround some had hoped for.”

Microsoft shares were down 45 cents, or -1.64% during Thursday afternoon trading. The stock is up 3.64% year-to-date.

Microsoft Corporation(MSFT) is not recommended at this time, holding a Dividend.com DARS™ Rating of 3.4 out of 5 stars.

Be sure to visit our complete recommended list of the Best Dividend Stocks, as well as a detailed explanation of our ratings system here.

Free Updates

Join over 100,000 investors who get the latest news from Dividend.com.

Best Dividend Stocks

Looking for stocks that are poised for growth and pay solid dividends? Visit our list of the:

Best Dividend Stocks

Partner Center

Best CD Rates

Sitting on some extra cash and looking for the most current and profitable CD Rates?

Get The Best CD Rates

14 Day Free Trial

Earn more from your dividend portfolio within the next 14 days.

Sign Up Today